Lieutenant Colonel George Barney Monument
Public Art : Lieutenant Colonel George Barney
Sculptor : © Denis Adams
Date Unveiled : 19th of November, 1979.
Description : Probably not the best monument to a
soldier and engineer who helped build the new colony of New South Wales, but at least Lieutenant Colonel
George Barney is recognised on a bronze relief/plaque. The relief is mounted on a granite block.
Location : Circular Quay, Sydney, Australia
|Lieutenant Colonel George Barney R.E.
Commanding Royal Engineers
Colonial Engineer 1835- 1844
Superintendent North Australia 1846-1847
Chief Commissioner Crown Lands 1849-1855
Member Legislative Council 1851-1856
Surveyor General 1855-1859
During his term of office was responsible for fortifications
maritime building and road works contrusted in the colony
of New South Australia.
Among the more important were :
Fortifications at Middle, South, Bradleys and Georges Heads Dawes Point Battery and Fort Denison,
Circular Quay, Customs House, Garrison Church, Newcastle Breakwater, Admiralty House New Government
House and Victoria Barracks, from whence came these stones.
Sculptor Denis Adams
|This monument was erected by
The Royal Australian Engineers
Sydney Cove Redevelopment Authority
with the generous support of
the Corps of Royal Engineers
The Institution of Engineers, Australia
The Maritime Services Board of New South Wales
The 7th Division Engineers Association
The Engineer Sub Branch R.S.L.
Institution of Surveyors Australia and Individual Benefactors
and unveiled by
The Honourable Paul Landa
Minister for Planning and Environment
on the 19th November 1979