Public Art In Bentley
Bentley is a southern suburb of Perth located 8 km southeast of Perth's central business district. Prior to
European settlement, the area was home to the Beeloo Nyungar people, whose territory extended from the Canning
River to the Darling Scarp.
From the 1860s the area within the district was known as "Bentley Hill" in honour of John Bentley (1822-1871), a
prison warder and Crimean War veteran who arrived in the Swan River Colony as a pensioner guard, and supervised the
convicts who helped build the then-Albany 'block' Road between 1862-1864. However, in 1940, the Canning Roads Board
proposed the name Bentley Park. The suffix Park was later dropped in 1967.
The area is well known for being the home of the West Australian Institute of Technology (WAIT), later renamed
the Curtin University, which was opened in 1967. The Western Australian Technology Park made up of over over 90
companies, government departments and research groups was established opposite the university in 1985 and today
contributes over $2 billion per annum to the Western Australian economy.