Public art in Antioch
Antioch, the “Gateway to the Delta”, is one of the oldest towns in California and was founded
by two brothers William and Joseph Smith in 1850. Originally it was called Smith's Landing but after a bit of
friendly persuasion by the local minister it was changed to Antioch in honor of the Biblical city in Turkey. The
town didn't get off to a very good start with most of the population being wiped out from the plague following the
discovery of gold. During the 1860's coal and copper were discovered, resulting in a mining boom. Today Antioch is
home to 31 parks and 11 miles (18km) of walking paths.