The Immigrants sculpture
Public Art : The Immigrants sculpture
Sculptor: © Luis Sanguino
Description: The bronze figural group depict people
of various ethnic groups and eras, including a priest, a Jew on his knees with his hand out, an African slave
breaking free of chains, a mother holding a sleeping child and a worker.
Commissioned by : The piece was donated to the city
by Samuel Rudin (1896-1975) as a memorial to his parents who emigrated to the united States in the late 19th
Date Unveiled: The statue was completed in 1973 but
was dedicated on the 4th May, 1983.
Location: The Immigrants are located at the south end
of Battery Park near State and Whitehall streets, Manhattan, New York City.
Dedicated to the people of all nations who entered America through Castle Garden. In memory of Samuel
Rudin 1896-1975 whose parents arrived in America in 1883.
Acknowledgements: Thank you to David Westerman and
Heidi Armstrong from State Custodians for kindly providing the
Background to the Immigrants Sculpture: In the early
1970's one of New York's largest property owners Samuel Rudin commissioned the Immigrants sculpture, with the
intention of having it erected near Castle Clinton. He envisioned it as a fitting memorial to his parents
and the many others who arrived in the United States through the processing facility at Castle Clinton
from 1855 to 1890. Sadly, in 1975 Mr Rudin died and his dream looked like it wouldn't eventuate. However
his family took up the campaign and finally on the 4th of May, 1983, the sculpture was unveiled.
Battery Park Trivia
Battery Park is located on the southern tip of Manhatttan Island facing the
It was named after all the artillery batteries that were positioned there when
the city was first settled.
The Park and nearby Battery Park City were built on landfill.
Clinton Castle, which is a fort on a small island in Battery Park, became the world's first
immigration depot in 1855. It processed millions of immigrants before Ellis Island was opened some 40 years
Zelda is a resident wild turkey that has lived in Battery Park since 2003. She was named after
F.Scott Fitzgerald's wife because during one of her nervous breakdowns she wandered off and was found eventually in